Know your skin tone:
Skin color or skin tone is a very important aspect when it comes to dressing well. The colors you choose to wear have a great impact on your appearance. The right colors brighten your face and make you look lively. Whereas the wrong colors make you look dull and tired. Vin’s “Guide to skin tones” will help you make the right choice. Let’s get started.
What is skin tone?
Well, there are two factors that determine your skin tone. These are undertones and overtones. Not sure what either of these are? Let’s simplify.
These are the colors that determine if you are warm ( yellow toned), neutral or cool ( blue toned). This is the most important factor to keep in mind when choosing outfits. So we will focus on undertones in this guide. The correlation is that warm skin tones mean warm colors, and cooler skin tones mean cool colors.
This is the color of your skin that is clearly visible. It is dependent on sun exposure, melanin production of your body and the climatic conditions of your region.
Now that you understand overtones and undertones, it’s time to find out your skin tone.
Determining your undertone:
There are a few simple tests you can try in order to determine your skin tone. They are not foolproof , but will help you understand your skin tone better.
The pony tail test
1) Tie your hair in a pony tail and make sure there are no stray strands.
2) Wash your face thoroughly.
3) Wrap a white towel or cloth around your neck and shoulders.
4) Look at your reflection. Ensure that there is proper lighting.
5) If your face looks more yellow this would indicate a warm skin tone, whereas a bluish reflection would mean a cool skin tone.
The Vein Test
1) In natural light (during the day, stand by an open window), make a fist and examine your inner wrist.
2) Observe the color of your veins.
3) Veins that are mostly blue are a sign of cool tones, while green veins indicate that you are warm toned. If your veins are a mix of blue and green, it means that you are neutral toned.
The Silver/Gold Test
1) It’s a commonly known fact that warm and cool as well as gold and silver go hand in hand.
2) find a piece of silver fabric and piece of gold fabric. ( jewellery works great too ).
3) Stand in front of a mirror in natural light ( during the day ).
4) Hold each piece of fabric next to your face, (If you are using jewellery,hold it against your skin).
5) If the silver makes your face light up, you are cool toned. If the gold makes you look fresh and alive, you are warm toned.
Tan or burn test
Do you tan easily? Then chances are you have warm undertones. If you burn easily or are unable to tan at all, you probably have cool undertones.
While these rules do have exceptions, for the most part, your hair, skin and eye color can help you determine your skin tone. Use the genetics traits charts below to see which undertone you are most likely to have.
Women with warm undertones have brown, amber, or hazel eyes with strawberry blond, red, brown, or black hair. Their hair tends to have gold, red, orange, or yellow hues.
Women with cool undertones have eyes that are blue, gray, or green and have blond, brown, or black hair. Their hair might have blue, silver, violet or ash hues.
If you feel that neither of these characteristics apply to you, then you could be neutral toned. Some neutral skin tones pull towards warm or cool. If you’re a neutral pulling warm, you look best in warm but can pull off cools and vise-verse for neutral pulling cool.
After these tests, you should have a better idea of your skin undertone.
Lets go in depth about each. I will talk about clothes, nails and lips.
Warm Skin Tones
These include natural earth colors with gold translucent undertones.
The colors that look best on you are:
- Mocha,bronze,sage green and mango oranges, peach or apricot summer yellow and apple green.
- Clear brick,dark tomato red or burnt orange, olive,moss or jade greens.
- Fresh lime,grass or celery greens.
- Ivory or oyster white
- Camel warm taupe or bright navy.
Any shade with a yellow base works great for you. Opt for purple or deep reds.
Go for: Brown or purple
Neutral Skin Tones
Usually, neutral skin tones will sway to either warm or cold. So you can choose your colors based on the dominant tone. Overall you can rock any color at all.
Colors with a blue or yellow base works great. To get a truly dazzling effect, use shades of burgundy.
Avoid: Anything pale.
Go for: Pinks and browns.
Cool Skin Tones
These are rich, true colors that have blue undertones.
The colors that look best on you are:
- Shades of raspberry,deep emerald green,royal blue,plums or pure black.
- Soft pastel blues and rose pinks.
- Emerald and icy greens to aqua hues.
- Pure white or soft white
- Lemon yellow, ruby and sapphire
Colors with a blue base are best. Berry shades look fantastic on you.
Avoid: Brown and yellow shades.
Go for: Pinks,nudes and cherry reds.
Vin’s Pro Tips:
1)As a rule of thumb, people with thin lips should avoid dark colors, and people with full lips should avoid bright colors. Dark colors on thin lips can make them look even thinner, while bright colors on full lips can make them seem even fuller.
2)Since each color has different shades to it, although a particular color itself may not suit your skin,a certain shade of that color will still suit your skin. So do not eliminate a color entirely. First ensure that you have tried all it’s shade.